A renovated station with a new hall
- Client: SNCF (halls and services, square, car parks), Marseille Urban Community (tunnel and urban networks), Département 13 Assembly (bus platform and land acquisition)
- Prime Contractor: SNCF Gares & Connexions, AREP / Design office: SETEC, SMM, SIDF / Site organisation and planning: AREP
- Site surface: 31 000 m²
- Delivery: 2007
Due to its elevated position, Marseille Saint-Charles railway station looked like a XIXth century acropolis, amplified by the monumental staircase built in 1930.
XXth century urbanization cut the station off from its immediate environment. The arrival of the TGV and the launch of the great "Euroméditerranée" project provided an opportunity to break the station's isolation by redesigning its surroundings and access, while doubling its capacity thanks to the construction of a side wing extending the historical façade, with a similar stone colonnade. The development of retail activities turned the station into a transport exchange and service center open to the neighborhood, giving it a new identity.